Life begins at 40 – but so do fallen arches, rheumatism, faulty eyesight, and the tendency to tell a story to the same person, three or four times. ~Helen Rowland
Today marks a truly momentous day, Aunt Nikki is the big 40! Yes, my sister is officially over the hill, even though she’s resided on that hillside for some time now. Giggle giggle. (Unlike me, I’ll always remain on the other side.) Or as Kyle used to say, “Aunt Nitti is ozer (over) the hill!” as he motioned going over and down a hill with his chubby little figures.
Nicole came from a time before the internet and email, when we still used rotary phones, listened to record players and tapes (heck dad still had his 8-track player in his truck), and before cable and satellite. Nicole has lived through eight presidents and counting including Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, and Obama.
Nicole has seen and accomplished a lot over these forty years, graduating from Penn State University in engineering, traveling the world over (sometimes with me), starting a side company (with me) and most importantly becoming Aunt Nikki, a title she does not take lightly.
So what has gone on over these last forty years from that faithful day, March 16, 1974? A lot! Let’s focus on 1974.
- Blazing Saddles was the top movie of the year
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive’s “Takin’ Care Of Business” was a top, pop music single hit
- Sadly, the Amityville horror happened in Long Island, New York on November 8th. Six family members were shot dead
- Richard Nixon becomes the 1st United States president forced to resign after the Watergate Scandal & President Gerald Ford gives unconditional pardon to Richard Nixon
- 55 mph Speed Limit is imposed to preserve gas usage, nation wide
- Sears Tower in Chicago becomes the worlds tallest building
- President Ford announces an amnesty program for Vietnam War deserters & draft evaders
- Gasoline shortages and price increases (guess some things never change)
- On June 5th – Henry Kissenger convinces Syria & Israel to agree to a ceasefire on the Golan Heights
- Work begins on the 800 mile long Alaska Oil pipeline
Nicole shares her birthday with some famous people. Here are a sampling:
- James Madison – president
- Curtis Lovell III – magician
- Erik Estrada – actor
- Alexandra Daddario – actress
- Victor Garber – actor
- Jim Bridger – explorer
- Jerry Lewis – actor
- Rupert Sanders – director (I had to throw that one in, because of the Kristen Stewart scandal)
- Felisha Terrell – actress
- Chuck Woolery (we loved watching Love Connect as kids!) – TV host
- Tim Kang – actor
- Walter Cunningham – astronaut
- Sienna Guillory – actress
Please review the years of Aunt Nikki. Moving clockwise, starting with the upper left corner, Nicole’s 15th birthday (yes that’s me to the right & my cousin Katie to the left), to the right Nicole’s 6th birthday (my cousin Casey to the left of Nicole and cousin Timmy to the right), below that is a her sophomore class picture – 1990, below is Nicole sitting with our cousin Chad for her 2nd birthday -1976 and finally to the left is Nicole’s 7th grade picture -1987. (Apparently she really, really loved those glasses!)